Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hello!

Hi everyone!

On November 7th 2010 I am taking on likely the largest challenge I have ever faced: the 2010 New York City Marathon. I have chosen to run my first-ever marathon on behalf of Girls on the Run Manhattan, a program that empowers eight to twelve year-old girls in New York by encouraging them to run and exercise.

Girls on the Run stimulates confidence, self-respect, and positive thinking by promoting healthy living and helping its participants train for a 5K race. By running with the Girls on the Run Manhattan team and becoming a “SoleMate,” I have committed to raise $2500. Donations to Girls on the Run Manhattan ensure that its programs can remain accessible to any girl regardless of her financial situation; many participants come from low-income families and communities and might not be able to participate without charity contributions.

Running and playing sports as I grew up played a critical role in my personal development. I can attribute much of my self-confidence, happiness, poise, health, and many of my friends, to my participation in physical activities both now and when I was younger. In elementary, middle, and high school, I was lucky enough to participate in everything that interested me, from basketball to tennis, from track to tap-dancing, and eventually completed a half marathon in high school with my mom. By raising money for Girls on the Run Manhattan, I hope to give more girls the chance to reap the same positive benefits of running and physical activity that I received.

I anticipate that training for the marathon and raising money for Girls on the Run will be a tremendous challenge, but it is a goal that I have wanted to tackle for a long time. My training partner, Penelope Smith, and I will cover hundreds of miles in training, and upon reaching our goal will give $5,000 to Girls on the Run Manhattan. This number seems daunting, but I am confident that we can reach it with your help.

I would greatly appreciate any contribution that you could make toward my race for Girls on the Run Manhattan. One generous donor has already pledged $500 to the cause. If 200 more people can give $10 each, I can reach my goal. Please contribute any amount you are able, whether it’s $10 or more—any donation will help me cross the finish line for Girls on the Run Manhattan, and help New York City girls achieve their goals through running.

You can contribute online at my website here: http://www.active.com/donate/solemates2011/LeahRD

And here is the link to Penelope's website: http://www.active.com/donate/solemates2011/penelopesmith

Contact either of us with questions:

Leah: leahrd@gmail.com

Penelope: penelopeasmith@gmail.com


Thanks! --Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment