Yesterday I did my first long training run that felt long. I ran eight miles with my friend since kindergarden, Carly. Although I ran six miles last week for my first distance run, six miles feels manageable. Eight miles was also manageable, but the thought of running for over an hour seems a bit excessive. I guess I should get used to it since I'll be running for four hours in just a few months. I'm lucky to be starting out my training in June in Eugene, Oregon, one of the most beautiful and nicest places to run. The variety of trails and the scenic river views help take your mind off the mileage.
One training tip that I've learned so far:
WEAR BODYGLIDE. This stuff works miracles to prevent chafing and overall discomfort wherever there is persistent rubbing between clothes and skin. Use it. Whenever I forget, I start regretting it after about mile 3.
Also, a delicious post-run recipe...
I usually eat this for lunch when I'm in the mood for something hearty but a little bit sweet. I think it was originally meant for breakfast (got the idea from a Runner's World article, although I've made my own variations on it), but it's usually a little too much for me for breakfast.
6-8 oz. of yogurt (I prefer vanilla, but plain is good too, depending on how sweet you want it. Any kind of yogurt- regular, Greek, soy, etc - works fine)
1/4 cup of high fiber cereal (Fiber One, All Bran, or any of those stick-like healthy tasting brands. Sometimes I use a little more than 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoons of nut butter (Almond butter is my favorite, but organic peanut butter is good too)
One banana sliced
A dash of cinnamon (adjust volume depending on how much you like cinnamon)
3 apricots, finely chopped (This is my own twist. Raisins and dried cranberries or other fruit is also delicious)
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and enjoy!
I was originally a little skeptical of the nut butter/yogurt combination, but it turned out to be delicious. I think the whole combination is genius, and it's a great healthy, high-fiber, high-protein meal-- perfect for satiating post run hunger. It always fills me up.
Before I sign off, just another reminder to please donate to my fundraising page for Girls on the Run Manhattan-- check out my first post to read more about the fundraising goal, the cause, and the marathon. http://www.active.com/donate/solemates2011/LeahRD
-Leah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment